Thursday, October 11, 2012

Somewhere Between: Documentary


While doing thesis research, I came across this documentary called Somewhere Between.  It is about four girls who were adopted from China and their experiences in identity exploration.  It would have been a perfect source for my thesis, but it hadn't opened yet.  The movie just premiered in California over the summer and is finally coming to Boston next weekend! 

It opens on Friday, October 19th and will be at the Kendall Square Landmark Theatre for one week.  (Details here)

On the documentary's website, it says that the primary themes are "identity formation, family, adoption, and race.  The film focuses on the intersection of all these themes through the coming-of-age-stories of four girls.  As they discover who they are, so do we.  Through their specific stories, we as viewers come to understand more fully the meaning of family and the ever prevalent cultural disconnect between stereotyping and race -- whether we are adoptive families or not."

I am SO EXCITED to finally see this documentary, and urge you to check it out, too.  I recently finished taking the GMAT exam for graduate school and I am now looking forward to revisiting my thesis.  I hope to publish it in article-format in topical academic journals.  In the future I would also love to make my findings more widely accessible as a book for adoptive parents and prospective adoptive parents.

I would love to hear from followers while I work on these projects, so please feel free to send me an email (alexa.ing.stern@post.harvard.edu) with any suggestions or thoughts you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment