Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Writing a Senior Thesis

Some of my friends who are thinking about writing theses next year have been asking me about what it's like to write a thesis. Here's what I think:

I hear lots of seniors complaining about their theses, and there is definitely culture that promotes complaining (or bragging?) about how much suffering goes into completing an honors thesis. I'm not sure if thesis-writers are truly so unhappy, or if it's just a way of building solidarity, or if people are just complaining because everyone else is.

I've accumulated dozens of books that I'm not looking forward to lugging back to the library and a huge stack of notes attempting to organize my thoughts.


I have no doubt succumbed to thesis-induced stress at times, but I LOVE writing a thesis.
  • I get to devote myself to a topic that I am intensely curious and passionate about. I decide the direction my research goes and I can pursue what interests me.
  • I work on my own schedule, at my own pace (bounded by the looming March 8th, 2012 deadline). No set class schedule or assignment due dates. (Note: this may be a drawback for some people, but I enjoy it.)
  • I have the opportunity to develop a relationship with a renowned professor. There are few things cooler than seeing your own adviser being cited in books you're reading. (Yes, I realize how nerdy that sounds, and I'll embrace that...)
  • I will have a finished product that I can point as the capstone of my Harvard experience. My thesis has been an opportunity for me to fuse my academic training with extracurricular interests, and see what emerges.
All that said, writing a thesis is hard work, but I'm loving the process 100%!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment